Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I play PLO now...

After a few months of playing single table tournaments on the internet, I worked the roll up to around 1k. At my lowest downswing I had one buy in to a 6.50 turbo. I won first, and things went from there. I learned a few good lessons and eventually my ROI went up, and I moved up eventually to the 12s. Now that I have enough of a roll to stab at some cash games (my original intention) I tried out some PLO. After a few sessions, and watching some play, I firmly believe that this will be the new big bet cash game of the future. The action is endless, and there are plenty of live ones. You just have to know how to play the game at the 6 max tables. Here's an interesting hand that came up:

1/2 PLO 6 max:
Me btn (266)
SB (234)
Villian BB (282)
MP1 (99)
MP2 (138)
Hijack (382)

Me: Ah Jc Jd Qc
MP1/MP2 fold.
Hijack limps.
I bet pot $9.
SB folds.
Villain calls.
Hijack calls


Flop: Js3cAs

Villain checks.
Hijack checks.
I bet $10.
Villain raises pot to $58.
Hijack folds.
I reraise pot to $202.
Villain folds.

Not really a special hand by any means. But (ego trip) the reason I post it as interesting is with my flop bet. I grossly underbet the pot with a hand that figures to be good in this spot. The reason I play the hand like this, is the likely hands that are going to call me if I bet pot, are the ones that are going to be scary down the line, and I will have to look out for any card over a T that doesn't pair the board, an A might even be bad for me, as well as any spade. I also know the aggressive nature of the villain. Since I have good handle on this situation, in general against hands that will play against me, I'd rather end the pot on the flop, so I need to give them to check-raise me, so I can blast them out of the pot or get my money in. I thought it would be likely that if someone had a hand to play against me, check-raising pot would be the way they would play. It turns out he typed in later, that he folded AJT w/ spades. Which is very good for me. The bottom line is that, I like my hand at this point and potentially there are a lot of cards that could present bluffing opportunities, in order to destroy any implied bluff odds or implied odds I tried to get all the money in on the flop. If I was called here would be that I would be up against AA, or KQTx w/ spades. If I was called with less, I would follow that person around for the rest of their lives making a living by gambling against them. This is 6 max, though and I don't think I just wait for the nuts to play.

Btw, I've been given a nickname, due to some short stacking tendencies, I've been dubbed Coinflip. I don't know how to feel about it yet. Catchy, yes. But I have a real name. So I'm not sure. I've also had my first losing month this year. $-450. Small loss, but frustrating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home