Thursday, July 06, 2006

Poker - and the Man on the Moon

July 20, 1969 -- "That's one small step for a man_ _ _"

I couldn't believe it. Heard the noise and stepped into the barracks day room to see what was happening. Other GI's were watching TV and talking excitedly. Cronkite was announcing and showing todays pictures of the first men walking on the Moon. A historic day. Took my nightly walk to play poker at the NCO club and stared up at the Moon -- Wow -- our Astronauts were actually there right at that moment.

BACKSTORY: Playing (maybe a little too much) poker in 1968 had gotten me in a little college and draft board difficulty. So, here I was in the Army. Stationed in NY City harbor -- just look out my barracks window and see Statue of Liberty and the (not yet completed) Twin Towers.

Lots of other Army guys on base and a lot of civilians working there too. Two Navy ships docked here and they were in port every few weeks. The poker games were just excellent. Never in my life have I seen such poor poker played by so many people. Civilians were usually drunk and the money meant almost nothing to the other Service people.

Both Navy ships were IN right now -- so it was going to be a very good few days. One thing bothering me was that one of the ships had a big tough Chief Petty Officer that cheated in the games. He had called me aside a couple days earlier for a "now hear this". He said that I was the best player in the poker games there, and he was the best cheater -- so we were going to work together and clean everyone out. I declined and he said I better do it or he would beat the crap out of me.

Walked into the NCO club and its the same familiar scene. Lots of people drinking, playing pool, dancing, and playing poker in the little card room alcove. Game was usually $1 limit --- tonight it was $2 limit. Must have been Navy payday. Got in the game and was a little bit winner when two new young Navy guys got in the game. Had not played with these guys before and they started right off cheating. Every few hands, they would do a very rudimentary card switch. One of them would then have a full house. I just never played a hand when they were doing this. No one else seemed to be aware of this -- most were drunk anyway. I eventually (umm, uhh) devised a countermeasure and they lost a big pot. I purposefully was going to stay in the game for a couple more rounds so as to not arouse any suspicion.

Just then, the big Navy CPO enters the game. He stares at me, but does not seem to know the other two Navy guys. Maybe they are from different ships. Now -- how do you like THIS situation? Plus ---half the table is going to be cheating. So, I just got up and left the game. "Take the money and run"

Found a couple of buddies and we drank and played pool for a bit when all hell broke loose. From the poker alcove, yelling then fighting. It spills out into the main room. Navy fighting Army, Navy fighting Navy -- yow. An actual knock down drag out "wild west style" bar brawl.
My 2 buddies and I grabbed the pool cues and stood our ground behind the pool tables and did not get attacked. Then the MP's came in and kicked butt. Saw us standing behind the pool table with cues ready and laughed at us. They said to get out now --- and we did.

Think I should have stayed in that poker game? I have often wondered who caught who doing what in that game. But --I never did see any of those 3 Navy guys again.

Walking back to the barracks that night, looking at the Moon again, thinking -- well, this was interesting. I'll remember this day for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home