Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Presidential Candidates

I have lots in common with the current 3 Presidential Candidates:

Hillary Clinton -- In high school in 1964, she was a "Goldwater Girl". Only 180 miles to the west, I was my high school and city chairman of "Youth for Goldwater". What a smart gal.

John McCain -- We were in the military together. He was an officer, pilot, POW, war hero. I was drafted, didn't want to go, and got out as soon as I could. Another good thing about McCain is that I love to play 7 card stud lowball (razz) and Senator McCain is always identified as R-AZ.

Barrack Obama -- We both have played lots of poker in Springfield. haha - never in the same game though. While in the State Senate here, he played in a game with lobbyists and other legislators. Reports have him playing a very tight serious game and usually winning. One conservative Republican legislator was quoted in a news article; "If he was as careful with the taxpayers money as he is with his own, the State would be better off."





Looking back on some other Presidents, candidates, votes, etc --


This will be the 11th time I have voted for a President. I've voted for 7 different guys - including 2 democrats. I've voted for everyone who has ever been elected President since 1968, except for Jimmy Carter. Voted against him twice. I've voted for incumbent presidents 6 times.


My first presidential vote was cast in the fall of 1968. I was so proud to click that switch over and vote for Nixon and Agnew.


I had seen Nixon in person twice in the '60s when he was speaking in Illinois. In the 1960 election, I was in the front row when the JFK motorcade came thru the downtown street. I was very close and was touching the car but didn't get a handshake. Saw Ford, Carter, and Reagan talk here in Springfield. I've not seen Clinton or either Bush in person.


In 1976 I met Bob Dole at the Holiday Inn East. He was there running for VP and making some speech and I was there with some friends. I walked up to him and got introduced. Stuck out my right hand for a handshake. whew - that was wrong. I was so embarrassed. I was still embarrassed 20 years later and did not vote for him for President.


You probably think all the above is an April Fools Day post - but heres the surprise; its all true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home