Monday, October 30, 2006

Hand of the Week -- Flopping the Nuts

Playing 10 -20, I'm in the cutoff seat and pick up Ad Qd.
UTG limps, a middle position players limps, and I raise it. Button cold calls, big blind calls, and all limpers call.

$100 in pot and 5 of us see flop of; Td 7d 2d.
UTG bets out, and middle limper calls. I call (we'll discuss this later) and the button raises. Blind folds, UTG and Middle limper calls. I call.

$180 in pot and 4 of us see turn of a black 2. UTG bets out (again) and now the quiet middle limper puts in a raise ! --- "Action is to you, sir."

I'll put in a comment with my action and reason. Also - a discussion of the flop call (S) and will tell the results of the hand.

You think about this hand and put in a comment too.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Abe said...

Well - its an easy and immediate fold for me. grrr-hate that putting in $40 and then fold. But, I'm 100% sure I'm beat and have NO outs. Its another curious example hand of where the whole situation changes with just one bad card. On the flop, I've got the nuts and am playing it to maximize the eventual pot.

Now -- about that calling the flop bet instead of raising. I'm not getting anyone out with a set or two pair behind me. I can only get the hands to fold that I want to call -- overpair, top pair, pair and draw, etc. Maybe I can get a two pair hand to fold if I wait and present them with a double bet on the turn. Also, by just calling I'm mimiking a AK and will probably get someone to bet out on the turn. The raise behind me (by the preflop cold-caller) is unexpected, but I think raising here (a limp call threebet?) would just announce that I have the nut flush.

Results were three guys went 2 bets on the turn and three bets on the river. Middle position (raiser on turn) had quad 2's which beat the button (coldcaller) full house. UTG lead-better hand not shown.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cold deck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home